2015/01/04

Telltale: The Wolf Among Us

Hello my fellow video game lovers! 

I've just finished playing The Wolf Among Us and I just have to share this with you! It's really good. But before I get ahead of myself, a quick introduction! (oh and don't worry I won't spoil anything)

The Wolf Among Us is a video game developed by Telltale Games, which is very similar to the Walking Dead series. It consists of 5 episodes, which are all playable as the game was fully released in July, 2014. The concept is, that a bunch of fairy tale characters had to flee their homeland from an evil tyrant, and ended up in our world. Those who look like animals have to buy glamours so they can look normal, and avoid getting noticed by the mundies (that would be us). However, if you've seen the TV series Once Upon A Time and you're thinking this is all about princesses, butterflies and everlasting love for your family, you'd be mistaken. This video game is not very sugar coated, which is why it is rated 17+ for blood, gore, drug reference, intense violence, nudity, strong language and use of alcohol and tobacco. 

You play as the main character: Bigby Wolf (a.k.a. Big Bad Wolf), who used to be a bad guy back in the homelands. In this world, he is the sheriff. I'm not going to give anything away, but I can tell you that you'll be doing some detective work as Sheriff Bigby and will unravel quite some secrets along the way. 

Now, about the gameplay: if you've played The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones by Telltale, you probably already know how these games work. If not, I'll explain it to you. Telltale really sucks you into the game by forcing you to make decisions all the time. You never just passively stand by and watch a conversation, but instead actively choose how to answer questions and respond to certain events. These choices have to be made quickly, to make it feel even more real. Depending on the choices you make, characters will like you more or less. But there is more to it than that. It can also influence the degree to which people cooperate, and even more than that: lives depend on it! 

Since I don't want to spoil too much, I'm not going to say much more about it. It's got great characters, I love the comic-book style in which the game is designed, the music is good, the story is surprising and original and all in all it's a great game. I'm pretty sure you could finish the whole game in one sitting, but I chose to spread it out over 5 days, so that I would be able to enjoy it a little longer. Now that I finished it, I'm going to start reading the comic book series 'Fables' which it is based upon! 

I hope you give the game a go, I'm sure you'll love it!
Let me know!

✎ Jade

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...